Board Member Expectations
Purpose of the Board of Directors
To advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, assist with leadership and general promotion of Tri-County Human Services, Inc. so as to support the organization’s mission and needs.
Board members serve the organization voluntarily. Board members will become familiar with the organization’s mission and remain up to date on the laws regarding the 501(c)3 status of the non-profit organization, employee law, and other pertinent legal and financial information serving the organization.
The mission of Tri-County Human Services is to provide help and hope to all persons affected by behavioral health, substance abuse, and other life challenges.
- Organizational leadership and advisement.
- Participation in the activities of the Board of Directors and assigned committees.
- Development and oversight of policies and procedures.
- Financial management including adoption and oversight of the annual budget.
- Selection, support and assessment of the chief executive officer.
- Ongoing review of organizational and programmatic reports.
- Promotion of the organization in the community; acts as an ambassador for the organization.
- Fundraising and outreach including a yearly financial commitment to Tri-County Human Services.
- Recruitment and approval by vote of new board members.
Members of the Board share these responsibilities while acting in the best interest of Tri-County Human Services. Each member is expected to make recommendations based on his or her experience and vantage point in the community.
Length of Term
The length of term is 3 years. Additional terms are allowed per the bylaws.
Meetings and Time Commitment
- The board meets every other month on the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 6:00 pm. The meetings start promptly and typically last 1½ hours.
- Committees meet on an as needed basis. Board members are expected to participate as assigned or volunteered.
- Board members are expected to notify the Executive Director if they cannot attend a Board meeting. If the Executive Director is not notified the Board member will be marked as unexcused from the meeting.
Expectations of Board Members
- Prepare for, attend and actively participate in meetings on a regular basis and special events as able.
- Attend and participate in the Annual Meeting which is part of the regular July Board meeting.
- Be alert to community concerns that can be addressed by Tri-County Human Services’ mission and objectives.
- Help communicate and promote Tri-County Human Services’ mission to the community.
- Become familiar with Tri-County Human Services’ finances, budget and financial/resource needs.
- For grant purposes, we expect 100% financial support from Board members each year at a level the individual is comfortable with.